30 Nov Recipe: Tessa’s tea loaf
Tessa is my mother! She adapted an old tea loaf recipe to make it lighter in sugar and richer in protein. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also naturally gluten-free. Sit down with friends and share this over your favourite cup of tea.
110g brown sugar
300g dried mixed fruit
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 heaped tsp mixed spice
2 eggs, beaten
110g rice flour
110g gram (chickpea) flour
Pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C for a fan oven). Line a 7-inch square or loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the butter, sugar, fruit, water, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute.
3. Allow to cool, and then add the eggs, rice flour, gram flour and salt. Mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the lined tin, and put in the centre of the oven. Bake for 60–75 minutes.
5. Allow to cool before eating!
Tip: this goes especially well with a steaming mug of Earl Grey.